Resisting the pull of cynicism since 1969.

Monday, December 19, 2005

Deputy PM: Vote for me, and I'll represent all non-Tories

At the press conference where the Liberals announced their Alberta strategy today, they focused in on various things they want to accomplish in the province. Between announcements about transportation and infrastructure, one of the more self-serving goals Deputy Prime Minister Anne McLellan mentioned was better representation for Albertans who don't vote Tory:

Over a third of this population in every federal election voted for a party other than the Conservatives. Mr. Harper, we have a right to exist, and those people have a right to a voice.
I admit to being a bit confused by what her core message is supposed to be, here. If she's saying that the people of Edmonton-Centre should reelect her as their MP so that she can speak for all non-Conservative voters in the province of Alberta, well, that would seem to be a fundamental misconception of how representative democracy is supposed to work. If she's saying that the seat counts in Parliament should really reflect the percentage of the vote received by each party on election day, though, then I couldn't agree more.

6 comments:

Robert McClelland said...

I believe she's saying that since Alberta is a one party conservative banana state, only by electing her and the Liberals back into power in Ottawa will they ever have any kind of representation.

Idealistic Pragmatist said...

Robert,

Ah, well, in that case, it's merely arrogant for her to assume that the Liberals can get anywhere close to representing people who voted for parties which are both not the Conservatives and not the Liberals. I suppose I shouldn't be surprised.

Not that I'd ever expect her to represent me, mind, because I don't live in her riding.

Hishighness said...

I'd be willing to bet you could turn any statement in to an argument for Proportional Representation.

Let's see if I'm right. Try to twist this one:

"I enjoy ice cream."

EUGENE PLAWIUK said...

With her statement she is running against Ralph Klein as much as running against Harper. Maybe she should have quoted that other great Albertan; "I am the best there is, the best there was and the best there ever will be" Brett 'the Hitman' Hart

Candace said...

She was ludicrous. IMHO

Idealistic Pragmatist said...

Leo,

*smoooooooches*