Resisting the pull of cynicism since 1969.

Tuesday, December 13, 2005

Damn that Paul Wells!

I held my nose when Macleans brought back Barbara Amiel. When they promoted Steve Maich, I swore a lot, but I hung on. When they wrote a cover story called "Why Wal-Mart Is Good" with "facts" stitched together from an incredibly suspect Ryerson University study, I stared in disbelief, but I didn't cancel my subscription.

When they screwed around with the format, though, enough was enough. I'm hardly a granny, but there's only so long that I can squint at the page without getting a headache, and it's nearly impossible to tell advertising from news stories anymore. I was sad that I'd be missing all that great Paul Wells election coverage, but I was going to stick to my guns, read it until it lapsed, and then just not re-up. I could get my Wells fix in his blog.

That was then, though, and this is now. Because now Wells is following up his tremendous interview with new University of Alberta president Indira Samarasekera by revealing that he's going to start challenging the party leaders on post-secondary education. This makes it a whole new ballgame. So while others may be canceling in disgust, there's at least one subscription that Wells has single-handedly rescued by the skin of its teeth. Though I still have my hopes that he'll kick some sense into Kenneth Whyte...or at least kick him around a little bit.

(He's even a cutie, too. Who knew?)

No comments: