Resisting the pull of cynicism since 1969.

Sunday, May 29, 2005

Justin Trudeau performs a miracle

One of my favourite books in the history of the universe (because one cannot be too superlative about this lovely thing) is Richard Lederer's Anguished English. My dad bought me mine on a family trip to New York City when I was about nine, and my sister and I took turns reading bits from it across the table to each other, making the whole family collapse into rather inappropriate giggle fits in a much-too-fancy restaurant. One of the chapters consists of a section of blooper headlines (all disturbingly real), such as "Grandmother of Eight Makes Hole in One" or "Doctor Testifies in Horse Suit" or "Iraqui Head Seeks Arms" or "Miners Refuse to Work After Death." Anyway, that's what the current top Globe and Mail headline made me think of: Justin Trudeau ties knot in Montreal. (Can't you just see the little ink sketch that would accompany it?)

What I want to know, though, is this: does that mean that, say, the neighbourhoods of Westmount and St. Henri are now folded on top of each other? Is this a new effort on the part of the next Trudeau generation to intermingle les anglais with les français? If so, he's even more innovative (and bolder) than his father.

No comments: