Resisting the pull of cynicism since 1969.

Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Um, thanks!

Well, the Round 1 results are in from the Canadian Blog Awards, and I have to say, I'm a little surprised that "Jack Layton's sinister mind control experiment" is currently in first place for Best Blog Post. That was the only category I was nominated in that I could comfortably vote for myself in--I don't exactly post with enough regularity to deserve either "Best Blog" or "Best Progressive Blog"--but I'm still pretty surprised. Pleased, but surprised. (I figure it has to have been the title that did it.)

This is a crazy time of year for me, so crazy that I haven't even gotten around yet to responding to all the comments on previous posts. But I at least wanted to send out a thanks to you folks.

Update: Okay, James' and Olaf's endorsements posts were so fun to read that I've decided to add my own. Here are the categories I'll be voting in:

Best Conservative Blog: Bound by Gravity is still my favourite Tory blog (and Andrew is one of my favourite Tories anywhere), but The Prairie Wranglers is certainly giving him a run for his money in the "staunch conservative, great writer, treats progressives with respect" category. I will probably alternate voting for each on the days I vote.

Best Progressive Blog: I'd love to say I'm voting for Peace, Order, and Good Government, Eh? because they're so consistently good and I find myself nodding vigorously along with just about everything they write, but I have to admit that Calgary Grit is the better blog. Bart is a partisan Liberal, but he still manages to write a political blog that's about his own ideas rather than about Getting Out The Party Message. Given how depressingly many Liberal blogs there are where that's decidedly not the case, that is a feat worthy of my vote.

Best Group Blog: Here's the category pogge should win, hands down.

Best Humour Blog: I don't read her regularly because the sheer Liberal partisanship can make the air feel pretty thick, but damn, is The Frog Lady funny.

Best Entertainment Blog: James Bow is my favourite blogger, bar none, and while he's slacked off a bit this year on the astute political analysis (*sniff*), he's still writing impressively good reviews of episodes of science fiction shows. I'm not even watching the shows in question as they air (though I will watch "Battlestar Galactica" when it comes out on DVD), but his writing still draws me in.

Best Media Blog: Paul Wells always, always makes me think, and often makes me laugh.

Best Blog Post: I'm not ashamed to admit that I will be voting for myself in this category. But Tim-at-pogge's "Fly on the wall" is worth a look, too.

Best Blog Post Series: I've loved Stageleft's Conucopia, but what can I say, it's James Bow's writing.

Best Cultural Blog: My dear friend the Arrogant Polyglot, with his interesting observations on language and life, has my vote.

5 comments:

Andrew said...

I voted for Tart Cider for best conservative blog thru the preliminary round.... may need to vote for the Prarie Wrangler now. I do not deserve it this year - don't vote for me.

Incoming snark:

"I'd love to say I'm voting for Peace, Order, and Good Government, Eh? because they're so consistently good and I find myself nodding vigorously along with just about everything they write..."

Pogge's posts kick ass, but the rest of the site doesn't do it for me. I wish he'd never turned it into a group blog. The site is now mostly anger-blogging, and I just can't stomach the shrill partisan tone that the majority of the posts take. I guess some people enjoy all-negativity-all-the-time, but I've dropped the majority of blogs from my RSS reader that do that.

Idealistic Pragmatist said...

Andrew,

I see where you're coming from on the Pogge Group, but I'm afraid this is where I get a mite hypocritical. I don't want to write an anger or snark blog, but I do sometimes enjoy reading them--if I agree with them.

I know, I know. Yes, I am flawed. *grin*

JG said...

IP, good luck with the awards! I actually do have a topic request for a future post, though. Since you're pretty well acquainted with German politics (esp. re: MMP), could you comment on how German federalism works? (or, more precisely, how well it works as compared to Canadian federalism)

My impression is that it works better, or at least with better (and more institutionalized) collaboration between the Länder and federal governments, in large part due to a sphere of concurrent jurisdiction.

Idealistic Pragmatist said...

Josh,

I make no promises, but I'll see what I can do!

JG said...

Thanks!