Resisting the pull of cynicism since 1969.

Friday, August 25, 2006

Yankee Klein

Every American I know who's read my 2004 post about Alberta's premier Ralph Klein has had one singular reaction: "Wow, he sounds like George W. Bush!" I cringe every time, but there's some truth to it; he's got the same sort of mixture of right-wing ideology, populism, and a mouth that overflows with quotable stupidity (his latest being that former U.S. presidential candidate Al Gore is "about as far left as it gets." this coming from a politician who has sat in the Legislative Assembly with Brian Mason for years, now. the stupid, it burns).

In any case, it sounds like Klein, who is preparing for the next leg of his career since his unceremonious ouster from the leadership, has been welcomed with open arms at a well-known U.S. think tank, where he will undoubtedly have plenty of opportunity to run into his ideological and intellectual equivalent. What I want to know, though, is this: is there any chance of them keeping him?

4 comments:

West End Bob said...

Thanks for referencing your 2004 post on "King Ralph" . . .

Please don't cringe, but I can certainly see where your American friends - Hope I'm considered one! - can see the similarity to mr. bush. He could be referred to as a shrub (small bush) quite easily.

Anonymous said...

Hi IP,

This is totally off-topic, but I wanted to be sure that you knew that Dazzlin Dino from the Blogging Party of Canada has selected you for his cabinet: Minister of Intergovernmental affairs.

http://bpofc.com/?p=167

Idealistic Pragmatist said...

Deanna,

Ha! And aww, thanks for thinking of me. Although it's too bad the Democratic Reform position had already been taken. *grin*

Anonymous said...

Didn't Ralphie send a letter to George in 2003 claiming that Alberta backed the war in Iraq 100%? I wonder if he was waiting for a 51st state invitation?

This is low, but I have to say it - perhaps he thought they said drink tank? *waits for laughter*

Let's hope they do keep him... if not as someone who seriously contributes to the debate, then perhaps as court jester. Anything will be fine by me!