Resisting the pull of cynicism since 1969.

Monday, July 25, 2005

Syntactic ambiguity alert

Your regularly scheduled overlong, barely penetrable posts will return once work slows down for me. In the meantime, though, I have to share this article.

The headline is "Marrying gays optional for commissioners," and it goes on to elaborate that "marriage commissioners in Alberta opposed to same-sex unions won't be compelled to marry gays." Well. And here I thought the new law was going to be all about the forced arranged marriages! What a disappointment!

Even better, though, it seems that "officials with the Alberta government [...] will ensure that gays who want to tie the knot have access to someone who will marry them." Isn't it nice to know that if we want to get married, the provincial government will help us find partners? Who knew the Tories were so full of peace, love, and understanding?

Whoever proofread that one, I want to give them a great big kiss. (Or possibly a marriage proposal.)

3 comments:

ricky said...

I'm single, where do I apply to the Alberta government for assistance! Help me!

Idealistic Pragmatist said...

I think you're outta luck, Rick -- the B.C. government doesn't seem nearly so progressive. ;-)

West End Bob said...

Thank you for pointing this article out . . . Your varied interests are quite refreshing in "blogland".