Resisting the pull of cynicism since 1969.

Sunday, May 01, 2005

Why I *can* join the Progressive Bloggers

The debate surrounding the emergence of the Progressive Bloggers has been really interesting to follow. I'm sympathetic to the argument Greg at Sinister Thoughts makes that "Liberals do not share the same point of view as New Democrats, who also have differences with the Greens," and in fact, I'm generally pretty opposed to unite-the-left movements. I still hopped on the bandwagon, though, and I don't see that action as inconsistent with my views. See, to me, the blogosphere is more about ideas than it is about parties. I am a partisan New Democrat, but this is not a New Democrat blog; if I hold an opinion that's out of synch with the party line and feel like talking about it here, I'm not going to let a party membership stop me from doing that. On the other side of the coin, I'm not going to stop being critical of the Liberals simply because I share a blogroll with some of them. Group blogrolls are about nothing more than making it easier for your blog to be found by people who might want to read it. Anyone who wants to read anything more into it than that is squinting too hard, as far as I'm concerned. Besides, do the NDP-leaning bloggers really want to let the Liberal-leaning bloggers lay claim to the term "progressive"?

By the way, I've also tried to join the
Blogging New Democrats, but despite the fact that I sent Robert of MyBlahg fame my URL several days ago, I haven't gotten a) added to the list, or b) a response to my emails. Is anyone else having this problem?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

really enjoyed it. Thanks!